Dear valued customer,
Hamburg Süd’s logistics operations and services continue to be impacted by the earthquake in Turkey and Syria, which hit the region on Monday 6 February 2023 and provoked a number of aftershocks.
The Port of Iskenderun remains closed until further notice, as teams look to repair the significant damage caused by the disaster and subsequent fire. We are currently unable to say exactly how long operations will be stopped at the port, but we will keep customers informed of the latest developments as soon as possible.
At this time, we are not accepting any new bookings to and from Iskenderun. Our teams are hard at work developing contingency plans involving nearby hubs and additional feeder vessels, with the aim of minimizing the overall impact on customers and their supply chains.
If you already have a booking in place or on the water, your Hamburg Süd representative will be in touch to discuss relief packages that we’ve put into action and further options for your cargo. The full terms of our measures to ease pressure on your logistics operations are outlined below:
Free Change of Destination (COD)
- No COD service fee for containers on the water destined for the Port of Iskenderun or Port Mersin, Turkey, or containers gated-in full at the first loading port bound for Iskenderun or Mersin.
- COD is subject to the expense of re-stowage and extra shifting cost, plus the ocean freight difference of the new destination unless initiated by the carrier.
- Acceptance of COD requests are subject to capacity at the new destination and operational feasibility.
- No amendment / cancellation fees on active bookings to and from Iskenderun or Mersin
Demurrage and Detention (D&D)
- Interim stop of the Import Combined D&D* and Export Detention* and Demurrage* clock for containers in Iskenderun from February 6th, 2023 until February 20th, 2023, where the D&D responsibility lies with Hamburg Süd.
Rest assured, during these challenging circumstances, we will do everything in our power and control to find solutions for our customers’ supply chains to keep them moving as efficiently as possible. We thank you for your patience, trust and understanding throughout.
Please also continue to visit our advisory page for the latest updates.
Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We recommend that you first contact your export booking office or import office.
We are always by your side!
Your Hamburg Süd teams
*Export Demurrage: Free time period and charges for utilization of equipment inside of terminals or depots (invoiced under Demurrage). Demurrage starts with gate-in full date (included) and ends with load on board date (included).
*Export Detention: Free time period and charges for utilization of equipment outside of terminals or depots (invoiced under Detention). Detention starts with empty pick-up date (included) and ends with gate-in full date (included).
*Import Combined Demurrage & Detention: Free time period and charges for utilization of equipment inside and outside of terminals or depots (invoiced under Detention).