Dear valued customer,
Following the recent earthquake in Türkiye and Syria, the Port of Iskenderun remains closed until further notice due to significant damage at the terminal. We previously communicated that a container fire had broken out at the port, but we are pleased to report that it is now under the control of local authorities.
It is not yet known when a full inspection will take place to understand the extent of the damage and affected containers, but we will keep you updated as soon as we know more.
Hamburg Süd is continuing to do all in its power and control to minimise the impact on customers and keep supply chains moving as efficiently as possible.
As the situation is changing frequently, we have adapted the terms of our relief packages in line with customer needs. Please see below for updated details, including for export cargo from Iskenderun:
Free Change of Destination (COD)
- No Change of Destination (COD) service fee for containers on the water destined for the Port of Iskenderun, or containers gated-in full at the first loading port bound for Iskenderun to any other port in Türkiye (TRMER, TRIZM, TRKOR, TRAMB).
- This includes re-stowage, operational and admin fees. COD in this instance will be initiated by Hamburg Süd
- COD admin fees waived to destinations away from Türkiye. Customers will, however, be liable for re-stowage and extra shifting costs, plus the ocean freight difference of the new destination. COD in this instance will be initiated by the customer moving away from Türkiye.
- Acceptance of COD requests are subject to capacity at the new destination and operational feasibility.
- No cancellation fees on active bookings to and from Iskenderun or Mersin
- Free of charge vessel postponements on bookings from Mersin.
Demurrage and Detention (D&D)
- Interim stop of the Import Combined D&D* and Export Detention* and clock for containers in Iskenderun from February 6th, 2023 until February 20th, 2023, where the D&D responsibility lies with Hamburg Süd
- Interim stop of the Export Detention* clock for containers in Mersin from February 6th, 2023 until February 20th, 2023.
- For containers destined for the Port of Iskenderun, when COD will be performed to any other Turkish port: if the customer has special free time at the new destination, the same will be applied. If the customer has no special free time at new destination, 10 days free time will be applied as tariff.
Our teams are here to serve you and help you through this time, so please don’t hesitate to contact your local Customer Experience representative if you have any questions or wish to discuss our contingencies in greater detail.
Please also continue to visit our advisory page for the latest updates.
We are always by your side!
Your Hamburg Süd teams