24/7 Port Operations at the Port of Los Angeles
(Florham Park, NJ) …Last Friday (October 15, 2021) the first meeting was held amongst terminal operators in the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach to get a briefing on the 24/7 gates initiative.
The call was very much an introduction on the initiative with more information to come.
1. We’re in an “80 day sprint” (Black Friday in 6 weeks).
2. Calls will be held Monday-Wednesday-Friday.
APM Terminals Pier 400 Los Angeles looks forward to working with the Biden Task Force on making our nation’s supply chains work better for customers and consumers.
As mentioned, we are already close to this operational goal of operating 24/7 at APM Terminals Pier 400 Los Angeles:
• We are currently operating 20 hours a day, Monday-Friday and open on Saturdays. (We’d be open Sundays but there’s no demand currently).
• We look forward to collaborating with our customers to fully utilize the 2,000 truck appointments available every day to pick up import cargo. At present, there’s a high “no show” rate for trucker appointments (30-40%) every day. This clearly provides opportunity for improvement – especially on the second shift at the terminal (6:00pmPST – 3:00am PST).
• APM Terminals Pier 400 Los Angeles will remain open for longer hours to coordinate delivery of import containers, providing that warehouses will be open for longer hours.
We expect to report more clear details on next steps this week to you and will provide them as they become available.
Please contact your Hamburg Süd representative with any questions that you may have.